The mission of DSAA is to guide Atlanta’s Down syndrome community by connecting families and self-advocates to the partners, programs, education and resources they need to thrive.
DSAA's vision is to equip and ready individuals with Down syndrome for a world that is ready for them!
Community, Commitment, Collaboration, Connection, Creativity, Celebration
Founded by a small group of parents in 1979, The Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta (DSAA) is a 501 (c)(3) Georgia non-profit organization dedicated to providing individuals with Down syndrome and their families life-long community connections.
There was a need to provide support and information to families who had, or were expecting, babies with Down syndrome. DSAA started working out of family's homes and having board meetings at kitchen tables across metro Atlanta. In 1985, DSAA became a 501(c)(3) public charity. Throughout the 1990’s, DSAA found itself growing in both numbers of families touched and in funding resources. In 2008, we celebrated our 30th Anniversary at a Gala Banquet and Dance. By 2008 DSAA was able to hire its first employees, an Executive Director and an Assistant Director.
Today, DSAA serves 800 families in 18 counties in the greater Metro-Atlanta area with its programs, services, resources, and activities for all age groups. It is the largest volunteer organization for those touched by Down syndrome in Georgia. DSAA is an affiliate of the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS), National Down Syndrome Congress (NDSC) and Down Syndrome Affiliates in Action (DSAIA).
What DSAA Does
- Coordinates year-round parent education programs
- Convenes conferences and events for parents, educators, and healthcare providers
- Organizes social gatherings and events for member families
- Distributes current information about Down syndrome to OB/GYN practices, pediatricians and hospitals in metro Atlanta.
- Provides information and activities for educators working with students who have Down syndrome.
- Oversees a community-based parent networking program, currently comprised of 14 area groups.
- Serves as an umbrella organization for the Atlanta chapter of Dads Appreciating Down Syndrome (D.A.D.S.), which provides fellowship and support to fathers of children with Down syndrome.
- Leads the Asociación Hispana de Sindrome de Down en Atlanta (AHSDA) - DSAA’s Hispanic outreach and support program, which serves over 250 families and is one of the largest and most successful programs of its kind in the country.
- Advocates for issues affecting persons with Down syndrome locally and nationally.
- Orchestrates an annual Buddy Walk® each October to raise awareness and financial support.
Click here for a copy of our IRS Tax Exempt status.
Click here for our 990.
Click here for downloadable Fact Sheet