Earlier this month Dr. Amy Talboy from the Emory Down Syndrome Clinic came to our mom's night out group. She spoke to the moms about the importance of sharing all information with your child's doctors. For example, Supplements are very commonly used by moms but many have potential adverse side effects, as well as possible interactions with medication or other supplements. Examples of supplements include (but are not limited to) vitamins, probiotics, and natural herbs.
Dr. Talboy explained that we need to be aware of all of the ingredients, their doses compared to daily recommended doses, known possible side effects, and how they are expected to affect the body (positive or negative). It is important for parents to research and ask what is in the supplements to avoid more serious issues, such as liver problems, or effects on bleeding. Dr. Amy Talboy is available to offer guidance when choosing supplements.
Visit the Emory Down Syndrome Clinic.
Assistant Professor, Department of Human Genetics and Pediatrics, Emory University SOM
Join DSAA for a three-day, whirlwind trip to Washington, D.C., March 4-6, 2019 to participate in the NDSS's Buddy Walk on Washington Advocacy Conference. This is a great opportunity to make memories, bond with fellow DSAA friends and make an impact by advocating in our nation's capital.
Monday, March 4: Depart Atlanta Monday evening, drive through the night
- It is a 10-hour bus ride without stops. We will make one stop at least on the way up. Coming back to Atlanta we will possibly stop for dinner, it all depends when we leave D.C. and what time we want to hit Atlanta.
Tuesday, March 5: Arrive in Washington Tuesday a.m.
- Training all day
- On your own in D.C. Tuesday night after Happy Hour
- Wednesday, March 6: Going to the Hill all day. As soon as we are done we will start heading back to Atlanta.
The NDSS $50 registration includes: (Please register for the conference on your own at give.classy.org/BWW2019. This only confirms conference attendance. You must RSVP with Sheryl to be included on the hotel and transportation with DSAA.)
- Training on Tuesday
- Going to the Hill on Wednesday
- Lunch on Tuesday
- Cocktail hour Tuesday night
- Breakfast on Wednesday
Hotel: $199.00 (this does not include taxes)
Sheraton Pentagon City
900 South Orme Street, Arlington, VA 22204
Have any questions?
- Transportation: TBD depending on the number of people registered and the size of the vehicle. RSVP for a spot on the bus with Sheryl.Arno@dsaatl.org.
On Your Own Meals to Plan for:
- Breakfast and Dinner- Tuesday
- Lunch and Dinner- Wednesday
Our annual holiday celebration was great fun. We were so happy to see so many of you.
The Titanium team from Atlanta Allstars chose to forge their "holiday " party to come volunteer at the DSAA holiday party again this year and they helped each of our little guests enjoy the games, dance floor, crafts, and the bouncy house. The Cosplay Volunteers of Atlanta sent some special superheroes and of course, we had our special guest Jolly Old Santa.
This Small Business Saturday, and Beyond, Support the Businesses Owned by our Self Advocates and Thier Families!
We have compiled a few businesses run by people in our community and encourage you to check them out!
Need some special holiday cards? Jenna and Donna make beautiful handmade cards.
Looking for that perfect gift?
- Purchase a Candidly Kind T-shirt designed by self-advocate, Grace Key
- Choose one of author Desley Quinby's book series centered around KC, a hero who has Down syndrome
- Purchase HERE I AM by Susie TenEyck) for the acceptance and inclusion of people with Down syndrome
- Order a delectable pie from Darden's Delights
- Purchase the best in skincare from Tachi Hahn and Rodan + Fields
Getting ready for a big move? Michael Dodd at MD Inspections LLC offers pre-listing, new construction, four point, and pre-closing inspections.
Travel plans in the New Year? Stephanie Cantwell and Lost in Adventure Travel are here to help! She can help you take advantage of all that her amazing partners have to offer to make your adventure as inclusive as possible.
Get all the details:Read more
Thank you for participating in the 2018 Buddy Walk. Your feedback is important in making this event a success. Please take a few minutes to share your thoughts by filling out this short form.