For the 10th anniversary of World Down Syndrome Day (March 21), and in honor of the 21st anniversary of the "International Year of the Family", this year's WDSD conference at the United Nations will focus on the role of families, and the positive contribution they make toward full and equal rights for people with Down syndrome.
In your own communities, we want to promote "Random Acts of Kindness!" in honor of World Down Syndrome Day. In collaboration with six other national Down syndrome organizations in the United States (Down Syndrome Affiliates in Action, Global Down Syndrome Foundation, International Down Syndrome Coalition, International Mosaic Down Syndrome Association, Lumind Foundation, National Down Syndrome Society), we have created a toolkit for WDSD 2015 that you can use to share information about Down syndrome with your community, celebrate people with Down syndrome, and spread a little love and kindness in the name of Down syndrome!
It's as easy as 1-2-3-4-5!
1. On March 21st, wear a t-shirt that says something about Down syndrome. (Your Buddy Walk t-shirt is a great option!)
2. Choose an act of kindness, like taking cookies to a fire station, or checking in on an elderly neighbor.
3. Print a WDSD postcard (like the one below) and give it out or place it with your Random Act.
4. Take pictures of the random act and post on your social media pages with the hashtag #DSAA, #WDSD15.
5. And of course, join us for our inaugural WDSD Color Dash 5K!
We'll have people on the receiving end of our kindness, and the whole world watching on Facebook and Twitter. Let's make this the biggest, best World Down Syndrome Day yet!