Down syndrome is a genetic condition where an individual has three copies of the 21st chromosome. The effects of this extra DNA differs from individual to individual. Nevertheless, people with Down syndrome share the same hopes and dreams, likes and dislikes as everyone else. They love their families, value their friends, root for the home team, and cope with the challenges of daily living such as managing a budget, living independently and having a job. These individuals and their families want the same opportunities for education, health, relationships, community involvement and careers as everyone else. With advocacy and the right supports, we can help make that happen!
Just Like You
The mission of DSAA is to educate stakeholders, unite our community, and build bridges between worlds, so that individuals with Down syndrome and their families are connected to opportunities for an amazing life.
DSAA envisions a world where individuals with Down syndrome and their families are connected to opportunities for an amazing life.
Founded by a small group of parents in 1979, The Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta (DSAA) is a 501 (c)(3) Georgia non-profit organization dedicated to providing individuals with Down syndrome and their families life-long community connections.
There was a need to provide support and information to families who had, or were expecting, babies with Down syndrome. DSAA started working out of family's homes and having board meetings at kitchen tables across metro Atlanta. In 1985, DSAA became a 501(c)(3) public charity. Throughout the 1990’s, DSAA found itself growing in both numbers of families touched and in funding resources. In 2008, we celebrated our 30th Anniversary at a Gala Banquet and Dance. By 2008 DSAA was able to hire its first employees, an Executive Director and an Assistant Director.
Today, DSAA serves 800 families in 18 counties in the greater Metro-Atlanta area with its programs, services, resources, and activities for all age groups. It is the largest volunteer organization for those touched by Down syndrome in Georgia. DSAA is an affiliate of the National Down Syndrome Society (NDSS), National Down Syndrome Congress (NDSC) and Down Syndrome Affiliates in Action (DSAIA).
What DSAA Does
- Coordinates year-round parent education programs
- Convenes conferences and events for parents, educators, and healthcare providers
- Organizes social gatherings and events for member families
- Distributes current information about Down syndrome to OB/GYN practices, pediatricians and hospitals in metro Atlanta.
- Provides information and activities for educators working with students who have Down syndrome.
- Oversees a community-based parent networking program, currently comprised of 14 area groups.
- Serves as an umbrella organization for the Atlanta chapter of Dads Appreciating Down Syndrome (D.A.D.S.), which provides fellowship and support to fathers of children with Down syndrome.
- Leads the Asociación Hispana de Sindrome de Down en Atlanta (AHSDA) - DSAA’s Hispanic outreach and support program, which serves over 250 families and is one of the largest and most successful programs of its kind in the country.
- Advocates for issues affecting persons with Down syndrome locally and nationally.
- Orchestrates an annual Buddy Walk® each October to raise awareness and financial support.
Click here for a copy of our IRS Tax Exempt status.
Click here for our 990.
Click here for downloadable Fact Sheet