Local Support Groups: Networking, Education, Social
The Atlanta area is large, and the Down Syndrome Association of Atlanta is the largest volunteer organization for those touched by Down syndrome in Georgia. For this reason, there are many different local networking groups affiliated with DSAA. Some are specific in language and culture (e.g., Hispanic/Latino and Korean/Asian groups) and others are specific to certain populations (e.g., Young Adults, Caregiver Support, D.A.D.S., Siblings). Others are organized around specific communities (e.g., Alpharetta, Cherokee County, Atlanta/Decatur/Tucker, Columbus, etc.). Some groups have been active for a number of years and some are brand-new. DSAA is committed to helping any local networking group get organized and run more efficiently.
DSAA networking groups are typically comprised of both new and seasoned parents whose children have Down syndrome. Members are free to join one or more groups to share information and resources, get emotional support, and find answers to challenges associated with rearing a child with Down syndrome.
2016 Active Networking Groups:
Local groups are run by parent volunteers and members typically stay in touch via email and private Facebook Groups. If you are interested in starting a group in your area contact us.
- AHSDA (Hispanic Group), Erenia Castillo
- Athens, Victoria Presley
- Carrollton, Villa Rica, Douglasville, Nicole Mitchell and on Facebook
- Cobb, Nadia Papagni or Beth Foy
- Columbus,Chattahoochee Valley Down Syndrome Association, Melissa Clark
- D.A.D.S, Todd Hartle and on Facebook
- Dekalb/Atlanta, Lisa Newbern and on Facebook
- Fayetteville, Peachtree City and Newnan, Tricia Harwell and on Facebook
- Gwinnett, Southwest, Melissa Kiefer or Joe Kiefer and on Facebook
- Henry County and surrounding areas, Melissa Kendrick or Alison Utterback
- Houston County/Warner Robins, Donna Crick
- Monticello Miracles, Kelly Copelan
- North Metro (North Fulton/Forsyth/North Gwinnett/John’s Creek), Margaret-Ann Hopper and on Facebook
- Paulding County, surrounding areas, Angela Cammarano and on Facebook
- Peachtree City/Newnan/Fayette- The Upside of Downs, Katie Reyes
- South Fulton, Shining on Ds, Cathy Webb